Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

zenith transocianic & GE clock / radio & Minerva Tropic Master

Tom,, yup i know your right but sometimes i cant contain myself.

Arran, your making me want to take a second gander. the alarm & clock works fine but yes it has periodic noise even after i dribbled in some 3 & 1 on the motor output gear.

GE Alarm / Clock Radio
1- I am in search of a diagram
2- unit has no model number anywhere
3-internal wound antenna seems to "allow" the user to plug into the rear an external antenna yet this set "requires" a loop. I a assuming the antenna mounts & design being hollow are allowing me this option. Id like to figure out how to integrate a long wire yet in my gator clip testing of different combinations did not seem to improve a weaker signal.
4- the IF's seem to be those type with a variable mica cap,,, that being said, and judging from the once in a while random "pop" noise,, i have to assume i best stock up on these small IF's while i can or find out if i can purchase the adjustable mica caps in the right profile for these tiny cans individually. i have a few sets now that have these type of caps.

Now that i can see the internals, i had no idea the motor was basically air tight with a seal at the output and an o-ring cover. If it is empty or void of oil,, it should float in water LOL.

I see an alternate less risky way of getting oil in the GE Radio clock drive motor. if i am very steady, i can spin by finger a very very tiny drill bit into the side of the motor cover in the location that would place the hole "UP". inject the oil then clean the surface and then plug it off. I have to assume it will lay sideways or upside down in a box sometime in the distant future so i have to think about not allowing the oil to run out but yet offer the next guy a visual indication there is a oil port.

I re-cap'd this radio inside of 15 minutes,, all the resistors visually had great looking color bands,, and nothing made me think i should demo and replace them. it works fine.
I added a polarized power cord. Did not install a fuse though.. i should.

MINERVA TROPIC MASTER
1- still hunting a diagram but i learned that if your speaker grill is in a Louver design, its considered "early" and likely was a real armed forces moral radio especially if it has the 50v PP tubes then it did see the front lines.,, however some military units had 25v tubes and to that even the associated original schematics do not match the actual product illustrating how hap hazard disorganized this company was about profits. Late models with the letter "M" over the speaker would be considered "late" models mostly bought by civilians and never really saw a battle field.,,==. so..... if the speaker has a louver then it made it to the line, if it has an M, it made it to your momma.
**in my situation i have the military tube layout (50v PP tubes) but i have an "M" over the speaker grille.

2- there is no model number anywhere on this set
3- nostalgia air has a few diagrams i just found so i will one at a time see which one if any match my set.
4- documentation state this is a weather proof case & chassis,,, i seriously disagree as you could have a better effect using a trash bag.
5- a 120v antenna picking relay will be easy to position.
6- this set will need a full going though,, a lot of discolored resistors and the caps are questionable,, and since one smoked on me , , why not just do it now. After all i only have a full blow 87 Merc Cougar resto in process with custom EEC Chip tune going on, a garden totally out of control, these radios to baby sit , tons of typical life things and moving targets everywhere i turn.

Messages In This Thread
RE: zenith transocianic - by David - 06-02-2018, 11:21 AM
RE: zenith transocianic & GE clock / radio & Minerva Tropic Master - by jcassity - 06-07-2018, 07:06 AM