Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

zenith transocianic & GE clock / radio & Minerva Tropic Master

Quote: "I see an alternate less risky way of getting oil in the GE Radio clock drive motor. if i am very steady, i can spin by finger a very very tiny drill bit into the side of the motor cover in the location that would place the hole "UP". inject the oil then clean the surface and then plug it off. I have to assume it will lay sideways or upside down in a box sometime in the distant future so i have to think about not allowing the oil to run out but yet offer the next guy a visual indication there is a oil port."

The one drawback with that is that you stand a chance of getting metal shavings inside the rotor capsule, the heating method should not hurt anything, the gears are mostly metal with one phenolic gear, all of which are fairly heat resistant, I suppose heating it in an old toaster oven where you can control the temperature would be safer then using a soldering gun, and hoping a heat sink will cool it down. Another method I saw to get the oil inside, without opening the capsule, is to place it under a vacuum, but how many people have the equipment to do that. I think that you can open some of these rotor capsules, but I don't know about the type used in these clock radios.
  Speaking of the radio portion of the G.E, if the IF cans have trimmer caps on top then they will NOT have silver mica caps inside them, just the coils, and possibly a resistor. If you are hearing thunder crashes look elsewhere, such as dirt in the tuning condenser, or volume control, or possibly a bad solder joint (such as between the loop antenna leads and the tuning condenser). If the set uses seven pin tubes then it would be a good idea to clean the tube sockets, and tube pins, if the chassis looks dirty.
Regards
Arran

Messages In This Thread
RE: zenith transocianic - by David - 06-02-2018, 11:21 AM
RE: zenith transocianic & GE clock / radio & Minerva Tropic Master - by Arran - 06-07-2018, 11:16 PM