Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 60B and 60L band switch question
Exclamation 

So...where is everyone Icon_question Icon_question Icon_question 

Well...anyway...Brian, the more I thought about this the more I found this (what I believe is what you are thinking) to be intriguing.

So...presented here in schematic form is a mod which may do what you are after:

The only problem is, the lower (grounded) end of the antenna coil primary, the 0.7 ohm end, is likely attached to the coil form at the grounding lug. Which means that you would have to unsolder the grounded lead of the coil and then figure out how to attach it to something else without breaking the wire.

Another thought -

I don't own a 60, but as I recall, the AM primary winding is a large bobbin of wire at the top of the coil form (opposite end of the lugs). The following would be an easier way to perform the mod:

Remove the lower end of the AM primary winding (11 ohms, across one section of the band switch) from one terminal of the 0.7 ohm police band primary winding, and connect it to the grounding lug of the coil.

Now connect the lug you removed the lower end of the 11 ohm winding from to the lug where the top of the 11 ohm winding is connected.

If you can pull this off, it might do what you are looking for.

If you can successfully do this and it really improves the reception, let me know. I never cared much for Model 60 sets simply because in my experience, they never had very good AM reception.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN