Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 80 Chassis/Tuner Isolation

Hi Lewis,
>The model 80 I am working on had been kinda sorta "restored" years ago by someone.
I had read somewhere that the tuner assy was mounted on rubber bushings, so that's why I am asking if it is supposed to be shorted to the chassis or isolated?

The tuning capacitor is bolted directly to the chassis best I remember on this set. As Mike said the tuning capacitor is connected directly to the chassis.

>The volume control has been replaced, I see a cardboard sheet sandwiched between it and the chassis, the front side has a washer and nut securing the pot to the chassis. I had read somewhere about a  "fiber" washer on the potentiometer, so I  was wondering if it too should be isolated from the chassis?

One end of the pot is connected to the chassis. That's how the volume (rf from the ant is regulated by it) works.

>After doing the alignment, and per John Riders instructions on aligning Philco radios, I am only receiving on station, with a fair bit of noise. 
So was wondering if these may be affecting reception.

Am I reading that your complaint is poor sensitivity?? If so  then a few test are in order. Unplug for the socket, turn volume full up and measure the resistance from the ANT post to the GND post. Should see a low resistance like <20 ohms. Next test is measure the resistance from pin 4  to the pin on the osc coil w/the cap and resistor connected to it. Again should show a low resistance.

GL

Attached Files Image(s)

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Messages In This Thread
Model 80 Chassis/Tuner Isolation - by Lewiss - 09-25-2018, 10:10 PM
RE: Model 80 Chassis/Tuner Isolation - by morzh - 09-26-2018, 07:07 AM
RE: Model 80 Chassis/Tuner Isolation - by Lewiss - 09-26-2018, 12:25 PM
RE: Model 80 Chassis/Tuner Isolation - by morzh - 09-26-2018, 12:33 PM
RE: Model 80 Chassis/Tuner Isolation - by Radioroslyn - 09-26-2018, 03:49 PM
RE: Model 80 Chassis/Tuner Isolation - by Lewiss - 10-06-2018, 02:05 PM
RE: Model 80 Chassis/Tuner Isolation - by Lewiss - 10-07-2018, 04:10 PM