Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Potentiometers

On occasion I have "messed around" with potentiometers. Only successes were making a pot from salvaged pots. Often several, to get the desired electrical characteristics. They didn't look like any OEM...

If you can create an emulsion that can be varied in electrical characteristics by virtue of its proportions, that is one step, the next step is applying the coating uniformly then curing to a final step. Wouldn't it be great if black toner could be put into solution with a binder, applied, then cured in a toaster oven Icon_eek  India ink, colloidal graphite Icon_question

I might add, that many control manufactures protected their products with patents. Thus a manufacturer must work outside these patents or pay license to make a robust control or a new design. That said the roller/contact disc potentiometer was short lived. For unknown reasons it did not stand the test of time.

Draw your own conclusions from that. Oh, how does one know if the control was OEM?

Please report your successes or failures.

Kinda reminds me of the steps I took to rejuvenate an A-K-30 bypass cap in a can. Opened the vent and put the cap in the oven, then plunged into melted paraffin and pulled the vacuum. It worked, I reduced the leakage to almost zero.

I rewind solenoid oscillator coils, so exact, that no alignment was necessary.. Then dipped bees wax coating identical to the other coils. Took three days, I wasn't retired then, I had more time Icon_rolleyes

Other crazy stuff like re-plating Radiola III control arm, Malone-Lemon hinges and lid support.

So I feel your pain...

GL

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

Messages In This Thread
Potentiometers - by EdHolland - 11-13-2018, 12:37 PM
RE: Potentiometers - by Phlogiston - 11-13-2018, 12:50 PM
RE: Potentiometers - by EdHolland - 11-13-2018, 02:20 PM
RE: Potentiometers - by Chas - 11-13-2018, 09:32 PM
RE: Potentiometers - by Radioroslyn - 11-13-2018, 10:24 PM
RE: Potentiometers - by EdHolland - 11-14-2018, 01:52 PM