Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rogers project

Greetings;
  Two issues I can see straight off, the first being the missing knobs, the originals were made out of a plastic called Tennite, which seems to have been too popular in the late 1930s and early 1940s for my liking, it has a reputation for warping, and distorting, if not disintegrating outright. The second issue is that the speaker appears to be missing, which indicates, along with the missing knobs, that someone took the set apart at one point. Maybe you have these in a box or a bag elsewhere, if not see if the previous owner might have them. You need the speaker just to power up the chassis, it has a pair of links in the six pin plug that disconnects the rectifier tube from the filter capacitors so it can't overcharge them, sort of a safety feature. Without the parts I would hold off on working on it for a while till you find the parts, it's a six tube chassis to it isn't especially high end, basically five tubes plus a Magic Eye. At least you have a good solid cabinet and a good dial glass, and no rust.
   If you are wondering about service info, there is no issue there, If I have the model number I can scan the info for you out of my Rogers service manual and email it too you, or you can see if the PacificTV site already has it posted, they have quite a few diagrams for Canadian sets. It looks like chassis number 11RA561
Your set is from the 1940-41 model year I think, and those had a pair of concentric knobs on the left side for a double control, one being the on-off volume, the other for the tone, the knob on the right is for the tuning, and it's made to match the concentric knobs on the right except one is a dummy just for looks (it's a single knob made to look like a double one) the center knob was bar shaped and that was for the band switch. 
Regards
Arran

Messages In This Thread
Rogers project - by Desualt - 11-28-2018, 05:04 PM
RE: Rogers project - by Arran - 11-29-2018, 04:05 AM
RE: Rogers project - by Dan Walker - 11-29-2018, 10:51 AM
RE: Rogers project - by Desualt - 11-29-2018, 02:50 PM
RE: Rogers project - by PhilcoJohn - 11-29-2018, 07:15 PM
RE: Rogers project - by Desualt - 11-29-2018, 07:50 PM
RE: Rogers project - by Desualt - 11-29-2018, 07:52 PM
RE: Rogers project - by Arran - 11-30-2018, 02:21 AM
RE: Rogers project - by tbone - 12-01-2018, 03:57 PM