Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another noob with another Philco!

I suppose I should answer your questions.

> The decal on the front is also gone, and most of the interior factory decals look as if someone attempted to peel them out.  WHY? 

Never had a decal on the front, just the Philco logo on the dial escutcheon. The labels on the chassis probably just fell off from glue failure over the 80 some years. If you poke around the Phorum you may find printable labels for the inside of the cabinet.

>The dial is darkened to a point where it will have to be replaced

I'd leave it still looks good. You can clean it but use only mineral spirits NO water or soaps lest the print will disappear.

> The knobs do not appear to be the originals either

Yes the knobs are from a 1939 or so Philco set. Should have the rosette knobs and the tuning is a little larger than the others. The hex knobs wern't used on the 60 for another year or so. http://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1934a/#Model_60B

> I think that the speaker grill cloth is not the right one, either.

Well it's not too bad looking and not sure that the original pattern is available.

<How do these radios do with three prong polarized plugs that are out there? 

Personally I wouldn't use one. There is a LOT of rf noise on the ac lines these days and using the ground the home ground wiring promotes pickup of these noises. Better to use a separate ground like a connection to a cold water pipe or hot water baseboard fin.

I think I've touched on most of your question.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Messages In This Thread
RE: Another noob with another Philco! - by David - 12-12-2018, 08:34 AM
RE: Another noob with another Philco! - by morzh - 12-12-2018, 10:18 AM
RE: Another noob with another Philco! - by Radioroslyn - 12-12-2018, 07:02 PM
Tube testing - by atlghosthunter - 01-05-2019, 03:27 AM