Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Capacitor Value and Wiring Tolerance-Am I Being tooo Fussy?

Thanks and after sending out enquiries the sellers are indicating 1/8 diameter outside which will work for the speaker wiring that is all beige on top and green and other colors below. The stuffing went great including the paper tubular that giving a bit of heat to cook them I carefully roll up the curled in end and push everything out and most have a paper disk on each end. A bit of hot glue gun glue and a bit of heat and roll them back shut on the ends. Some the yellow capacitors barely fit and some like the .1 of a higher voltage had a great deal of room. The modern are higher voltage and much smaller. As for the .09, .082 vs .1 the larger size slid in like it was meant to whereas the .082 was slightly too big. Things came to a screeching halt when I arrived at those two .00011 or 110pf in one Bakelite tar block. Those I don't have and the few suppliers that do only have 100 or 120. A number of non standard sizes in this set what little there is underneath.
As for the wiring other than being exposed to wax from capacitors, 83 years of lint and nicotine, and fading above none of it is bare or crumbling so I have been leaving it in and trimming the ends as I unsolder and replace capacitors. In a pinch the wires to the speakers could be dyed green and what other colors they are perhaps using food coloring or dye from those water based felt markers because there are three colors for this wires that show up underneath. I have recapped and renewed resistors in much newer sets with little trouble for parts compared to this set. At least many of the "dog bones" are testing in the ballpark many indicating a bit less instead of much more like the newer carbon composite resistors usually do and this is taken with a grain of salt as the multimeter is offshore total garbage and was the best the local hardware store had. I will purchase a good Fluke while I'm waiting for the 110pf. Otherwise I have found ZERO capacitors that were good so far except for the few mica under the chassis. This is using my IT-11 Heathkit probably as old as I am which probably needs recalibration but is working otherwise okay using the new capacitors to confirm this.

Messages In This Thread