Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Atwater Kent model 206 weak noisy reception upper end of dial

Ah, the omega symbol meaning megohms! I'd never seen that either. With that knowledge I replaced a few more resistors tonight that were way off. Namely R10, R16, R8 and R12. Didn't make a whole lot of difference, though, in the noisy distant reception.

There is still something going on around that 58 IF tube. When I first turn on the set, after flipping it back rightside up, it will come on motorboating. As soon as I push down on the gridcap of that tube, the motorboating stops. I'm wondering if something could be going on inside that IF can. There's not much in it judging by the schematic.

It seems to receive a few more stations since the resistor changes, more below 1000 on the dial, but that's where most of the stations are in the area. Adjusting A2 and A3 while I have the strong local station noisily playing at 1470 didn't make any difference. I even tried my SStran AM transmitter, which should blast at low volume and it too sounds distant and noisy. It broadcasts at 1450. I didn't have time tonight to check the voltages but will tomorrow. Any other ideas? There are a couple of original micas I left in place. I'm wondering if the mica-mold style C4 would make a difference?

Thanks for the video with Harlow Wilcox! The Fibber McGee & Molly announcer that they nicknamed "Waxy" because he was always doing those Johnson Wax Glo Coat commercials! I have an original Glo-Coat can circa 1946....

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org