Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Does 1946 Philco back padding contain asbestos?

Probably. Asbestos was used throughout the radio industry, but was limited. A tube with a hotter than normal filament positioned next to the wood cabinet often had a small asbestos pad between it and the cabinet. "Mini" table sets usually had the inner side of the top lined with a thin layer of asbestoes.

If the pad is grayish-white, brittle, & fiberous it's likely to be asbestoes. As long as you do not disturb it there should be no health risk. However if you work on the set I suggest you get an expensive industrial grade filter mask for your face before disturbing it. Consult a qualified salesperson before the purchase. However you then become faced with the problem of airborn microscopic particles when the set is worked on or disturbed.

Also be aware that transporting it in a vehicle may shake small pieces lose. So wrap the set in a plastic bag. But then you have the problem of legally disposing of the bag. The asbestos regulations today are out of control. People buying old homes in certain states must have the painted walls tested for asbestos paint. The whole situation is out of control.

I am not legally qualified what to advise you to ultimately do with the radio, other than dig a deep hole in your yard and bury it. Well, actually, I can't even advise you to do that, and I take no responsibility for any actions you decide to take. I guess you're screwed my friend. Call the EPA and ask them. (Man! Why did I even respond to this post . . . Icon_sad )

"Ice cream has no bones"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Does 1946 Philco back padding contain asbestos? - by Philco1928 - 11-09-2010, 01:27 PM