Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Re-stuffing metal bodied capacitors.

I had bought a Hammerlund SP-110-X in '68, in very well used condition. At the time it was not the the project then to restore old commercial/military receivers. The term "Boatanchor" had not yet been coined. The separate power supply had a bank of four stud mounted Aerovox electrolytic capacitors as filters. All leaking electrically very badly to the point of getting hot...

Aerovox had a manufacturing facility on Belleville Ave., New Bedford and a local distributor just some 3 miles away. This type of capacitor was known as the "GL", stud mounted with exiting lead wires. It had long gone out of production, however, a phone call from the distributor discovered they could be made for a very reasonable "special" order. So, I did.  It has been some 15 years since I powered that old Hammalund. It did work just fine then in 2005.

I doubt Aerovox would build the "GL", the Belleville plant was torn down and excavated as a hazardous waste site, brown field. In fact I was next door to the "field" on this past Wednesday for a meeting. The nearby Acushnet River was being dredged that day by the EPA for hazardous waste Icon_rolleyes 

Hayseed Hamfest does make twist-loc electrolytics. Reading of the episodes of restorers dealing with the Zenith Transoceanic 4-section twist-lok is like reading events in a torture chamber... There is virtually no room to mount external caps so the OEM unit gets the 'Iron Maiden" treatment. Hayseed has made that go away for the same cost as a steak dinner, some $35...

YMMV

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

Messages In This Thread
RE: Re-stuffing metal bodied capacitors. - by Chas - 03-22-2019, 09:25 AM