Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 116X in a 116 Tombstone cabinet

While reading your tale about the 16 chassis in a T'stone case, everything seemed reasonable, until you got to the part with the type "U" speaker. Fer Pete's sake, were you really serious about putting a "U" speaker in anything besides a console cabinet? I'll need to go downstairs and look at a couple of my 16 sets. Had you never said all this, I'd just laughed at the idea of putting a big horse like that in such a little barn! Whoosh!

Now, laugh at my amazement, but I hve two versions of an Emerson set of 1941. It's actually a console chassis, the console being a side-by-side phono combination. Then, they also made the set as two table models, the cabinets being the only difference. This is where it gets nutty: The power amps in that chassis are 2-6L6 (Push-Pull), driving an 8 inch speaker barking out of the top. I re-capped one of the two sets I have, and the tube manual shows the 'L6's, as putting out 18 watts, with those voltages applied. I had a larger test speaker on the set when Iwas working on it, and that baby really does belch out the sound. Normally Emerson was very much, a middle-of-the-road set, but this one was the snazziest Emerson I know of. It has a broadbanded I.F. channel, and it does indeed, sound like a million bucks. That Emerson was their DS chassis, if you'd like to look it up.

Now, back to the Philco 16. We know that the "B" sets had watered-down audio in them, to save the speakers, but the consoles must have been capable of 20 watts, with the 42's operating in the connections that they were. That 16X chassis in that "B" cabinet must have been able to blow that case to toothpicks.

BTW Ron, the pkg. came Yesterday. I'm still working on getting your goodies together. The weather is wonderful these days, and I'm road testing and de-bugging one of my '41 Cadillacs, as long as the weather holds. Everything suffers for things like that.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Philco 116X in a 116 Tombstone cabinet - by Doug Houston - 11-18-2010, 11:22 PM