Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco PT-30, only hums

right, hello, my name is Peter. brief introduction, i'm an auto mechanic / enthusiast with a pension for mid 70's to late 80's Japanese classics. recently got into the vintage electronics game and came across a really well kept Philco PT-30. only thing is, it only hums, with no volume adjustment. now, i have done a little research [here and elsewhere] and based off a few other topics here, it seems that the capacitors for the transformer are blown/gone/otherwise fubar. now i know my way around electricity,in fact that's mostly my job at the shop, is fixing automotive electrical issues, but that's just it, automotive issues. along with the fact that i can't read all the cap. ratings off of the schematics posted on this site [good help though, just not complete enough for me at least]

so, few questions; one, are the caps on the transformer the only problem that would cause a radio to hum with no volume change, or just the most likely [ i do plan on changing them all, ALL, out of the chassis just due to their age]

and two, could someone clarify some of the ratings needed [well aware again that i am going to need to sub. out ratings due to them not widely manufactured anymore]

thanks in advance, i hope to radiate my home with the analog sounds of awesome soon

-Peter

Messages In This Thread
Philco PT-30, only hums - by Specter - 11-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Re: Philco PT-30, only hums - by Raleigh - 12-01-2010, 12:23 AM