Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another new acquisition - a Philco Grandfather Clock!

There is an existing thread on Frankenradios here on the Phorum:

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=709

My 52 GFC is not a Franken-Philco. I have seen another complete 52 grandfather clock a few years ago, long before I knew the one I now own existed. And my friend's 52 GFC did have a 52 chassis, not a 51. It makes sense when you stop to think how Philco sometimes combined chassis and cabinets in the 1932-33-34 period to make some low production oddballs.

The 80 Colonial Clock is an example. Originally a 551, two strips of wood were added to the front panels to hide the shaft holes for the 51 chassis. A wooden platform was made to go inside to hold up the 80 chassis at the proper height. Two new shaft holes were drilled in the front panel for the 80 control shafts. I can look inside my 80 Colonial Clock cabinet and see the original shaft holes for a 51 chassis.

You guys are free to start a new thread on unusual Philcos, or perhaps I will tomorrow if neither of you do so before then. Icon_smile

TA Forbes Wrote:Hope that this and other radios like it make it into another edition of your book, Ron... hint, hint....??

It will happen. But please be patient. I expect some good things to happen in the next year or two towards that goal.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN