Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

any value in this or should I make a trip to the dump?

Hello "dlucas," and welcome.

Where are you located? I take it to be Columbus, Ohio, according to your email address?

As Gary has mentioned, this set does not have very much monetary value; especially since it has been painted black. But I also agree with Gary in that you should not merely take it to the dump. Someone will probably want it. If I were closer and had room, I would take it. I used to have a 40-508, but the cabinet was water damaged at the bottom. I ended up getting rid of it because of a lack of room. Otherwise, I probably would have kept it and tried to restore it; this is an uncommon Philco model, even though it isn't worth a lot.

Again, as Gary said, try placing an ad in the Philco For Sale or Trade section here, and see what happens.

Another thought: if you are so inclined, and if you are in the Columbus, Ohio area, the Central Ohio Antique Radio Association (COARA) is holding a radio swap meet next Saturday, January 15, from 8 am to 10:30 am at Leawood Elementary School, 1677 South Hamilton Road in Columbus. I-70 Exit 107, just north of I-70 on OH 317 (Hamilton Road).

More info here:
http://coara.tripod.com/page3.html

We attended their "Cabin Fever" meet last January, and it was a very good meet with a lot of sellers and buyers. You should show up early and either take the set in or walk around and distribute flyers (which you could print using your computer) advertising the radio for sale. Just a thought.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN