Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Just picked up a 1936 Philco 116B Tombstone Radio Today and need some info on it

I don't know whats oms is but just simple handsoap and water should NOT have  been enough to of taken that ink off that dial, and yet it did, even windex shouldn't of been enough to of taken that ink off and yet it did, so apparently that ink that Philco used on their dials was NOT very durable especially if it couldn't even stand up to being wiped off with just soap and water to take off 80 years worth of dirt and grime build-up on the dial. 

As for taking the dial off I finally figured it out on my own after a while, but it took almost brute force to get that retaining washer off because it was stuck on there by years of dirt and grime build-up (the same dirt and grime build-up that was on the dial itself that I tried cleaning off but then ended up ruining the dial).

I'm also going to need the inner dial insert as well (the smaller disc that goes in behind the tuner dial that has the verigated circle pattern on it where the outer circles are thinner and the inner circles are thicker) and has a half moon shaped cutout on the bottom with another circular cutout ontop of that, as that one got ruined as well, and that one all I was cleaning it with was just water and that's it and the ink came off of that small insert, which tells me that the ink they used was water soluble ink because otherwise just plain water shouldn't be enough to take off ink on a tuner dial like that, if it was oil based (like it should of been) it would of held up just fine to water, and other water-based cleaners like windex or soap and water.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Just picked up a 1936 Philco 116B Tombstone Radio Today and need some info on it - by captainclock1988 - 12-09-2019, 10:16 PM