Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Just picked up a 1936 Philco 116B Tombstone Radio Today and need some info on it

OK, so I got my capacitors in on Monday, and I am starting work on this radio, and I was monkeying around with the switch to try and get it going again and it seems that the power switch itself is actually working as it should (at least according to my DMM's continuity test it is). 
I was able to get the switch apart and flush it out with some contact cleaner and I put it back together and confirmed with my DMM that the power switch was indeed working as it should but when I plugged in the radio to test if the switch was actually working the power switch was off, and the radio was powered on still. 
So something is still not right with the power switch circuitry I'm still wondering if something is bypassed or if something isn't wired right.

Any thoughts?

Also my radio came with the optional headphone jack on the back for private listening and there is a paper cap going across it and its not on the service data.

Anyone have any idea what should go there?

OK, so a little update on the power switch: Its definitely going to need a new switch, because I unhooked the hot lead going into the switch and plugged it in and the radio was dead as it should be, which means I have a bad power swich, and even when I went to test the fuctionality of the power switch with my continuity tester on my DMM with the hot lead disconnected on the power switch, sure enough I had continuity with the switch both in the on and off positions, the previous tests were false positives unfortunately.

So does anyone on here have a spare volume control/power switch assembly they could part with to help me get this radio going again?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Just picked up a 1936 Philco 116B Tombstone Radio Today and need some info on it - by captainclock1988 - 12-26-2019, 12:57 PM