Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I don’t want to be just a “parts swapper”

Good that you want to learn! Icon_smile  There are many beginners I meet, that just want to "make it work" without understanding any theory behind their radio, or knowing what the components they are changing actually do.

I read a lot, but I know that's not everyone's cup of tea...used to be the only way to get most information. I recommend a combination of reading vintage books, plus some more modern ones (that explain many things in today's terminology) and using the internet. Here's some recommendations from me:

1) Book: Drake's Cyclopedia of Radio and Electronics. There are many different editions of this book; best to find a later version with updates. It list terminology from the 1920's to the 50's, and explains what each means, and how each works in circuit.

2) Book: Antique Radio Restoration Guide by David Johnson. A great book for starting out understanding radio and repairs. Puts most explanations in plain terminology.

3) Net: Mr. Carlson's Lab on Youtube. Paul Carlson is an instructor like no other. He explains everything he does, in a way most can understand. And he does everything step by step. His videos are from a half hour to a couple hours in some cases. And he has a soothing voice! Most people seem to be binge watching his channel during this virus isolation.  Icon_lol