Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 42-322 Speaker question

You will want to replace electrolytic caps with aluminum electrolytic caps of the same or close to original capacitance, same or higher voltage. Buy the Japanese ones, like Nichicon, or Illinois Capacitor. Replace molded/waxed paper caps with plastic mylar film of nearest capacitance value and 630 volts.

SOAP BOX WARNING: Some people like doing this so much that they only replace the caps that measure bad or look charred/cracked then open the radio at a later time to replace one that failed. I replace all paper and electrolytic caps. They exceeded their end date long ago.

I use 10% as a tolerance for replacing resistors.

I usually buy parts in bulk, it reduces unit cost greatly. Buy 10 or 100 and compare unit cost. I'll buy from Mouser but if I'm ordering a speaker or transformer form one of our Phorum vendors I will check my supply and restock.

As you replace each part, verify that it exists on the schematic and mark the schematic with a highlighter. You'll find that someone before you has replaced a part with a different value so you will have to resolve the issue.

GL and ask us, we're here to help (use pictures).
Rod

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco Model 42-322 Speaker question - by RodB - 07-19-2020, 08:36 AM