Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Back on the Farm - Again - 5-F-134 and fun with chemicals (plating)

WOW!! A beautiful restoration of an important piece of history!

One of the reasons that I participate in this hobby (but not as well as you do!)is not just to build skills but because we are preserving and curating History!!  History of technology, history of the times, even history of the family that owned it. 

I was born in 1955 during the time of transformation of Nassau and Suffolk Counties on Long Island, NY (I am 50 mi east of Manhattan, NYC) from farms to suburbs, from a town of 50,000 to a town of 200,000.  But Farm Radios are of particular interest.  Rural farmers prior to rural electrification were the first "off the grid" folks until the grid go to them.  I have an RCA 6BT (Chassis only) that can be converted from 2V plus B, C batteries to 6V plus Vibrator.  Zenith and others also made a model switchable from 6V Battery to 120VAC, anticipating the rural electrification.

As I restore and use one of these radios, I can imagine the family that survived the depression (and maybe the Dust Bowl), and saved enough money to buy this deluxe Zenith.  Maybe they are running it from the battery that starts their tractor or their Ford.  Maybe they have a WinCharger or a Delco 6V Lighting system.  If running it from a 2V Battery and Dry Cell B and C batteries, listening to it is a rare rationed treat.  This Radio is likely the farm family's link to the outside world.  Maybe they gather around this radio to listen to farm reports, news, musical and entertainment programs, and religious services.  Maybe they used the short wave bands to listen to the news of the storm clouds of war forming in Europe.

As I fix, restore and play these radios, I think of the people that built and used them.  They likely are deceased, but I hold the fruits of their labors and try to remember to say a prayer for them.

Sorry for the long post, but the work of the people on this Phorum inspires me.

Best Regards,
John

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Messages In This Thread
RE: Back on the Farm - Again - 5-F-134 and fun with chemicals (plating) - by MrFixr55 - 07-25-2020, 07:11 AM