Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My upcoming fall / winter project

The capacitors in your parts list are called condensers and there are several types. The ones you want to replace right away are the tubular, which are paper caps, and electrolytic, which are polarized and used in the power supply. You can purchase poly film caps for the tubular and aluminum electrolytic caps for the electrolytics. The capacitance you should buy will probably be different from what is listed. The standard values today are slightly different from the old ones. So when you want a. 05mfd you will want to order a .047mfd, replace a .003mfd with a .0033. As Mike said, get the 630 volt poly caps and at least the listed voltage for the electrolytics. Your radio has at least one bakelite block, called line condenser in the parts list, which contains 2 capacitors. Replace these with 2 Y2 safety caps. There are several techniques for replacing them which you can read about elsewhere in the Phorum. The mica condensers rarely go bad. Compensating caps are adjustable and are now called trimmers which are used for alignment of the radio. There are 2 tuning condensers which are the plates that move when the tuning knob is turned. They will probably have to be cleaned with an electronic spray cleaner. After cleaning lubricate the bearings. In the schematic, the capacitors that are adjustable have arrow heads. When you order your parts keep in mind to check quantity breaks. If you want 5 or 6 of one value you'll often spend the same money for a quantity of 10.

For resistors learn the color code. You probably have dog bone resistors in your set. The color code is the same as modern resistors but you read it differently, BED: body, end, dot. I use 10 percent as a go/nogo, most use 20 percent.

You have plenty to absorb, so good luck and ask questions when you're stuck. Hope you have a soldering iron.

Rod

Messages In This Thread
RE: My upcoming fall / winter project - by David - 08-18-2020, 06:26 PM
RE: My upcoming fall / winter project - by David - 08-18-2020, 06:31 PM
RE: My upcoming fall / winter project - by morzh - 08-19-2020, 07:35 AM
RE: My upcoming fall / winter project - by RodB - 08-19-2020, 08:36 AM
RE: My upcoming fall / winter project - by pokey - 08-19-2020, 09:17 AM