Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-2 cabinet finish, what did they use originally

I know by now, some people are asking why Russ isn't posting here. There is a simple answer and it applies to all other sites as well. I have decided that I will no longer will bother posting advise when it seems that a person has already made up his mind - after all ,what is in it for me - or him/her?

I do feel bad when I see a rare radio damaged, knowing that this may lead to its eventual destruction (Your heirs might throw it away, if you don't).

But(!) I wrecked a few radios - more than a few. It was a learning process. Some people will forge on and get better at it - some won't. We all have to start somewhere.

I know also that some people (speaking for myself) drag their heels when they feel that someone is talking down to them (even if they asked the question). I will say here that Ron has probably wrecked a few radios as well - sorry Ron. I also know that some of my responses seem too abrasive (like 80 grit paper), but that is because I usually (not in this case) try to make answers as short as possible.

For conroyp's radio, it isn't valuable. Go ahead with your plans. See how it turns out. But observe these things:

Is the finish even - everywhere - cracks and seams included?

Has any of the veneer been damaged (sanding or scraping scratches and other visible damage)?

Is the grain filled (is the finish rough - even if it is "even")?

Is the finish the original color - or the color that you want it to be?

Is the gloss level correct?

Runs drips errors?

Is the material used correct - or at least yielding the result that you expect (this is a subset of Use Lacquer or not (?)?

What will happen to this finish over time - is it serviceable?

There are more questions to ask like what tools to use and, in what form should the material be applied (cans, sprayer or brush) Yes I use a brush for some things - not the topcoat, but some people do.

There is a lot to learn and nobody is good at it right out of the box (unless they have related experience - yeah, I painted a few cars). So go ahead, but take notes and pictures - my only advise at this point - take pictures before you start (I know you have but I am trying to be as generic as possible).

Visit my site - I think I have some opinions that nobody likes, but you can still learn from them - I hope ( I have been told that I assume too much. The sky is blue - right? No today it is grey Icon_lolno Icon_crazy ).

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/