Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 40-180 Cabinet Restoration

Ok, after reading a number of different posts and making some notes, I believe I have the steps down.  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, you aren't going to hurt my feelings.  Since this is my first rodeo, want to make sure I do this right and be ready to roll once the weather gets warm enough for me to tackle this project.

Supplies:

Citristrip

Lacquer Thinner

Mineral Spirits

0000 Steel Wool

Chemical resistant/Butyl Gloves

400 Grit Sandpaper

Tack cloth

Burlap cloth

Queensland/Australian Walnut Veneer (for left speaker rail patch)

Mohawk Pre-Catalyzed Sanding Sealer

Timbermate Wood Filler

Mohawk Ultra Classic Toner - Medium Walnut

Mohawk Tone Finish Toner - Medium Walnut (for veneer patch blending)

Mohawk Pre-Catalyzed Clear Finish Semi-Gloss

Steps:

1. Repair the missing speaker rail veneer using Queensland/Australian walnut veneer

2. Strip cabinet using Citristrip.  Use laquer thinner to remove any tough spots.  Final wipe down with mineral spirits to remove any stripper residue

3. Repair any minor chips/blemishes using Timbermate wood filler in putty consistency.  Allow filler to dry

4. Very lightly sand cabinet with 400 grit sandpaper.  Wipe down cabinet with tack cloth

5. Tone veneer patch using the tone finish toner so that it blends with rest of cabinet when toned

6. Apply coat of sanding sealer

7. Lightly sand with 400 grit sandpaper.  Wipe down cabinet with tack cloth

8. Apply second coat of sanding sealer

9. Lightly sand with 400 grit sandpaper.  Wipe down cabinet with tack cloth

10. Grain fill cabinet with Timbermate in paste form.  Allow to set for approx. 5 minutes or until it starts to barely set.  Scrape excess against grain.  After approx. 20 minutes when hazy appearance, remove excess using burlap cloth in circular motion

11. Tone cabinet to desired shade using the Ultra Classic toner, allowing cabinet to dry between coats

12. Apply new decals

13. Apply semi-gloss laquer coats

14. Reassemble and enjoy

Again, this is a mesh of a number of different posts I've read (thanks to all for those details), so please correct me where I am wrong.  Thanks again in advance for your help and advice!

Vinny
Greensburg, IN

"We don't care what you do...just don't electrocute yourself or burn the house down."
-My Parents

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 40-180 Cabinet Restoration - by unclevinny86 - 03-03-2021, 09:04 PM
RE: Philco 40-180 Cabinet Restoration - by DuMont - 06-26-2021, 05:20 PM