Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ISO Tips: Refinishing Philco TV Cabinetry

To me the cabinet looks like it may be some sort of hardboard like masonite. A bad picture tube isn't necessity the end of the line, it depends on what type of picture tube type it is, some are in demand, and expensive, others are quite common and have little demand, like many of the 21'' tubes from the 1950s, others are rare, I don't think a 1963 set would be any of these things. What's more a set with a well worn picture tube can still produce a watchable picture, and in some cases a tube can kind of go to sleep, and has to be woken up, so even a tube that tests weak initially may wake up the longer it is left powered up. I won't not even think of re-purposing a complete set, if you had an empty cabinet or a curb side find TV that was a wreck, why not, though I think the market for such kitsch is limited, and will probably end up as dumpster fodder. Flyback transformer failures are actually pretty rare, lack of H.V in a set is often blamed on those but it's usually a problem with the other components driving it. Sometimes they do get moisture inside them, but there are ways of driving it out. Most of the other tubes in this set are cheap, even brand new, though I think that bad capacitors and drifted resistors will be the cause of most troubles. What exactly does the set do or not do, I assumed that you plugged it in? I would have powered it up with a light bulb in series with the power cord to ensure that nothing goes to a dead short. I would watch shango066 on Y.T if you want some ideas on how to work on these things.
Regards
Arran

Messages In This Thread
RE: ISO Tips: Refinishing Philco TV Cabinetry - by Arran - 06-09-2021, 10:28 PM