Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Any Model 65 restorers/owners out there?

Radiorosyln: Well, I was certainly not the first one in this chassis. I had noticed that the choke was not original and apparently the last repairer had noted the choke had failed, but left it in circuit and compensated by putting a huge 16MFD electrolytic in parallel with the power supply capacitor block on the other side of the chassis at the speaker connector. That is much like you have suggested with the resistor replacement ( I am thinking a 5 watter or so), and I may need to go back to that sort of a brute force arrangement.

Phlogiston: One dog bone in the bunch at the power supply capacitor block, but it was in spec. The strangest thing to me was the combo resistor/capacitor units. Never had run across those before...

Hammond does make an open framed choke (156C) which is 150H, 8ma and 3700 ohms that might work in this application, but as the unit that is on there is fully shielded and enclosed, I think that I would be expecting some issues using this as a replacement? Everything topside on the chassis is pretty well shielded in any case. Thoughts?

The speaker is another story, and while I have not gotten there yet, if whoever it was that did some rewinding of a Model G speaker would come forward, I would certainly appreciate your info as I may have some questions a bit further down the road. I did do a search and could not find the associated posts. Otherwise, if someone has a speaker (working!) that they might part with....

Both of you, appreciate the assistance. Anyone else with any thoughts is welcome to chime in. Again, my first TRF radio, so I am wandering around in terra incognita (a.k.a. lost in the woods).

Richard

Messages In This Thread
RE: Any Model 65 restorers/owners out there? - by RGallahue - 06-23-2021, 08:34 PM