Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco model 54C

I picked up one of these awhile back and am just getting around to having a close look at it.After having a look at the schematic I thought it was odd that it has two off/on switches. This set has interesting feature it has an ac interlock switch that disconnects both sides of the ac cord when the back cover is removed.This will prevent someone from being shocked when they are servicing the chassis.This set is an AC/DC job. Oh and another thing it's not a "curtain burner". A term used for sets that have a resistance line cord. Some get pretty hot and can be quite dangerous. It has two health sized power resistors to drop the ac line voltage to a usable voltage for the tube filaments/pilot lamp. I don't think Philco ever used them but I might be mistaken. Pretty advanced for 1934 and added a bit of expense to a small inexpensive set when money was very tight. Another feature I noticed is it covers the AM broadcast band and a SW band. On the schematic there is a tap on the antenna coil for the SW position but not for the oscillator. So I'm thinking that Philco was using the second harmonic of the oscillator to provide the oscillator signal for the SW band. Pretty clever. With that setup it would tune the old police band and the 160 meter ham band. Seems like that scheme was used on a few of there lower end AM/SW sets. Did I mention it has a reduction gear dial? Pretty cool set!!
The down side is it is cram-packed on top and under the chassis. Looks like a pain to work on. Got to order some 160v caps before I dig into it.

Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Messages In This Thread
Philco model 54C - by 7estatdef - 04-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Re: Philco model 54C - by Doug Houston - 04-18-2011, 04:14 PM
Re: Philco model 54C - by 7estatdef - 04-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Re: Philco model 54C - by Ron Ramirez - 04-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Re: Philco model 54C - by 7estatdef - 04-18-2011, 06:38 PM
Re: Philco model 54C - by Ron Ramirez - 04-18-2011, 07:04 PM