Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SOLVED Westinghouse RC radio-so... they think im the guy to get this thing working

My $0.02

First off, is that a mouse carcass in there?

In cleaning, wear an N95 mask, gloves, etc. and do this outside. Even if you don't come down with hantavirus symptoms from working on this, sufficient exposure to the virus may mess up some esoteric lab tests that may be done on you at a later date. Assays for Vancomycin, Amikacin, Valproic Acid, other theraputic drugs and some endocrine tests, etc., that may use mouse antibodies as part of the "sandwich" (Sorry, my education is as a Laboratory Technologist and I have been working for a manufacturer of Clinical Lab instruments for 40 years).

Use plenty of insecticide, wipe down with a dilute bleach solution, Lysol, etc., leave outside in the heat, etc. and douse again!

The "RA" Section appears fairly complete but the coils may be open. They could be repaired or rewound. The big issue with the "DA" Section is the missing knobs and shafts, missing Tube Island and obviously open transformers. Seems that the missing jacks are inside, so you only have to find the nuts. The rods that hold the front and back panels together on the DA can be turned around if you can't get the screws out.

I used 2 commonly available P-T156 transformers in my RA / DA These are relatively cheap (approx $14.00 from AES and others), and I was able to fit them in the frames of the originals.

The RA Section was originally separate from the "DA" Section and could be purchased separately. It could be used as the "tuner" for a crystal detector. One may have bought the RA, a crystal detector assembly such as the Westinghouse DB and a set of Brandes headphones. Then when the user saved enough money, or got over the novelty and wanted a real (for 1921) radio, he / she could have gotten the DA (Detector Amplifier). The GE1300 / 1400 combination was very similar in function to the RA / DA except that the crystal detector was built into the1300 . The RA / DA, RC, the 1300 / 1400 were all sold by RCA and represented the "top of the line" until more sophisticated units such as the Aeriola Grand, Regenoflex, Superheterodyne, etc. became available. Some of these later models could cost more than a Model T Ford.

I agree that this unit should not be junked, but if a donor DA can be found cheap, combine best of parts. I bought my RC in January for $320.00, my biggest single expenditure in this hobby (I can't bring myself into buying an A-K TA Island for $400.00, let alone a complete A-K 9 or A-K 10 for $1000 or more)

Now, what to do with it if you actually get enough DA Parts to fix. Demonstrate it as it was designed to be or use it as an amplifier and pump 1920s music and news from an internet site. To really cheat, connect the "program" directly into a horn speaker or bury an old transistor radio speaker into the horn. However, every once in a while, fire up the original components and take yourself back to 1921.

These things are history, and are in the 100 year old zone. I marvel at the "BBT" 00 and 01s and the glow when fired up. When I use mine, I think of the original users and what they may have listened to, and pray for their souls, as they are most likely deceased.

Sorry, my $0.02 turned into $200 in words. Good luck!!

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Messages In This Thread
RE: Westinghouse circa 20's radio-so... they think im the guy to get this thing working - by MrFixr55 - 09-07-2021, 12:02 AM