Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Starting a 37-10 project - odd cap question

Hi Larry! Thanks for the reply. As I was removing that capacitor shown in the original photo on this thread, I did note that the bracket was clearly an add-on, soldered to the case, and most likely for the reason you mentioned. That's a big, heavy sucker.

I may have been a bit free with my language last night as I was tracing the parts and trying to find a problem I've run into. I was, perhaps, complaining out loud to the universe. This is my third radio project and I feel like I went from fiddling with an erector set to building a suspension bridge.

I assure you, I promise I am not just yanking parts, and I sincerely thank you for your suggestions.

I am not only taking photos, but i'm taking them with index cards held in the photo with an ID number and a quick note, and a correlated numbered entry in the notebook with what i've found about it. Then I duplicate the photo on the phone to add circles and arrows with a paragraph in the notebook explaining what each one was, to be used as evidence against the atrocity I'm committing against this device.

I'm also going to put little tags on the wires, I think, since the colors are faded and 99% of them just look dirty-white.

I take your comment about not being point-to-point, just that somewhere in the circuit, there is a component between this part of it and that part of it, to heart. I've run into that before in a lot of my more... solid-state work. 

This was probably a rather poor choice for my third go-round, but this one has very high sentimental value.

I've got two components that I'm not 100% sure about what they are, still in-place, that I don't yet have photos of.
I may take pics and post later today or tomorrow after work. 
My naivety on this project should be a big red waving flag to me.

thanks again!

Knows enough to be dangerous, occasionally successful, rarely correct.