Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 16B 5 band Code 121 Help Please

Missed #19.
Bend up the 5 tabs on the bottom and remove the cover. This will get you inside. Unscrew the large black screw while being careful not to damage the vane assembly. Lift out vane assembly near the small screw w/needle nose pliers. Bend up the remaining 6 tabs and remove the top cover. There's the coil and under it is a small bar magnet. It's used to center the vane. Some say that it improves the meters sensitivity if you remagnetize it. I tend to think not. Remove the bobbin from it's bracket and cut the wire off of it. A snap blade or Xacto knife works well.
1/4 bolt and nut can be fitted thru the bobin to mount it to your drill. You'll need some 38 or 40ga magnet wire. The trickiest part is getting use to the feel of the tension that you can put on the wire. If it breaks in the middle not a big deal. Clean the ends and solder it back together. Paint it w/some nail polish and your good. If it breaks at the start point after you've wound a bunch on that's kind of a problem.
In terms of how much wire? I just eye ball it then measure the resistance. It's not all that critical something around 1200-1500 ohms is fine.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 16B 5 band Code 121 Help Please - by Radioroslyn - 02-10-2022, 05:03 PM