Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 49-901 - Horrible (Garbled) Sound

Thanks, guys. For those of you who are wondering Why doesn't Uncle Ron automatically know the answer and why is he asking for help?, I must tell you that chemotherapy alters one's brain permanently. While I have been off chemo for a year now, save for the three days last month that I took chemo pills until they started making me sick, the effects remain.

Greg, I especially appreciate your very kind comments - thank you so much. And I think perhaps you may have hit the nail on the head with the antenna terminal suggestion. After reading your post I remembered that a disconnected or poorly connected loop antenna will cause such garbled reception with hum modulation. I'll look into that first.

The comments about the speaker are also worthy of checking into. This was the first thing I had thought of, especially since the output transformer is not original - it is a Stancor universal replacement. I have a spare 4 inch speaker with proper output transformer, and I will try it later.

It's funny (strange) - I had set one of the presets to the local Jasper station at 990 and it was coming in at first, but when I made the video, it would not. Ditto a talk station in Evansville at 1280 which I had set another preset to. All it would receive in the video was my home SSTRAN at 660 kc, and that was very weak and poor. And, yes, I do play music on my SSTRAN, and will continue to do so.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread