Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Atwater-Kent Original Service Data

Great Thread. Our generation built the foundation for the new "Whiz Kids", just as our Parents' generation was the foundation of our knowledge, and so on...

I was self-taught in electronics using the Navy Basic Electricity and Electronics (Van Valkenberg, Nooger, Neville, published by Rider), given to me by Dad; and the NRI Radio Course, CA 1948, given to me by his boss at Grumman, Mr. Whitney; and various radios, some still with me, some whose guts are scattered in various landfills, given to me by neighbors, and some just taken from landfills or the street (including my first Color TV, 2 Fisher Tube receivers, veraios Heathkit Williamsons, etc. some of which will be posted on e-Bay, partially offsetting my addiction to - oops, investment in this hobby). The work of people like Mike the Druid, Ron Ramirez and so many others in the Phorum and other hobbyists pay great respect to the previous generations in keeping this history alive and working so the Kids can see the history of what the current science is built on.

Commercial Communications radio is now 117 years old. Commercial Broadcast radio is now 102 years old. The Transistor is now 75 years old, the Linear Planar Process IC is 63 years old, the 8080 Processor is 48 years old, and the IBM PC is 40 years old. These milestones are the building blocks of modern technology, just as these milestones are the offspring of the experiments of Franklin, Volta, Ampere, Hertz, Maxwell, Edison and so many others.

It is important for all to learn from History. To hold a working example of an antique radio or textbooks, manuals, etc., that survived even after the passing away of their inventors, builders and original consumers is to hold history on one's hands. I aways think of this and say a prayer for those who have designed, built and purchased these products.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atwater-Kent Original Service Data - by MrFixr55 - 06-10-2022, 06:31 AM
RE: Atwater-Kent Original Service Data - by RodB - 06-11-2022, 07:47 AM
RE: Atwater-Kent Original Service Data - by RodB - 06-18-2022, 07:16 PM
RE: Atwater-Kent Original Service Data - by RodB - 06-19-2022, 07:44 AM