Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New Member with Philco 38-12 open oscillator coil

Hi Rod and thank you for your helpful response. The information that you provided is helpful in that you reminded me about the index mark and the sequence of pin numbers which I had forgotten about. It was also useful to me when I wire the rewound coil back into the RF section. Unfortunately, when I started working on this radio I found only 1 of the four terminals on this oscillator coil still connected to a solder lug. That 1 wire is connected to pin 2 and was the end of the larger coil up at the end of the index mark. Every other pin had loose wires at the solder terminals end with no continuity to any other pin. These loose wires were hanging off the coil and and separated from the coil wire they were originally connected to. Since the wire connected to pin 2 was one end of the largest winding on the coil I can now infer how to wind this larger primary coil. Now I really need someone to give me information on how to wind the secondary. To be more clear I will need to know is the secondary coil wire connected to pin 4 also wired so that it terminates at the index mark end of the coil as is the case for pin 2 and does the winding connected to pin 3 terminate at the solder lug end or is it connected the other way from pin 2?

When I unwound the existing coil wire I found three breaks in the primary winding and about 5 breaks in the secondary winding. By eyeballing the unwound primary wire it appears close to if not identical to 32 gauge wire that I have. lf someone on the forum has rewound this coil and had success I'd love to know if my wire gauge guess is correct and if they used the same gauge wire for the secondary coil. The number of turns they used for each coil would be very helpful too.

Thanks once again,

Ernie

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Member with Philco 38-12 open oscillator coil - by eewat - 08-10-2022, 01:54 PM