Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1st IF can cover removal Philco 118 Help

Terry and Greg,
 Thanks for the assist. This is why I posted here instead of going for broke and maybe breaking something.

First of all yes,the radio is working on Am and not SW . But I think a cap I don't remember the number in the if can is shorted or even open .
Originally on am the radio would wooooo  not what I would call a whistle and make all kinds of noise  but would not play. did replace the filters and a cap in one block that was shorted. Caps and resistors seemed ok. well if I removed the grid cap to the 78 if tube the radio would play fine . Further test appeared to indicate a bad cap in the if so I added the ,05uf leading to the grid . Now it plays but there still is an intermittent issue ( distortion / drop in volume) that can sometimes be corrected just touching the grid of the 78 ( 1st if).

I noticed that tuning on the sw band back and forth which is dead , nothing. But sometimes the woooooing would start on SW and again touching the grid and away it goes.
I tried other tubes, cleaned the socket etc... cleaned the switch checked the contacts .

I did see the snap ring but was not sure if it was to remove the IF assy and hoped I would find out more here.
 It is only curiosity really that caused me to post as I have little interest in this radio. I originally acquired it for another project long gone now and the speaker, knobs and tubes are worth more than what I paid any way so it's no big deal to junk it. 
                              Thanks,
                                   Henry

Messages In This Thread