Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

41-255 power dissipation reality check

I've pretty much finished restoration of this radio, but had a couple of questions that came up after reading some other threads. First, a poster in another thread noted the usual Philco setup for this period was to have the power line filter block before the switch, which was indeed how my set was originally wired. When I replaced the line filter caps and repaired the switch, I changed the wiring to be switch first so that line voltage wasn't continually on the filter caps. Is that generally what most folks do? And why did Philco wire them with the line always across the caps to begin with?
Second, I built a small breadboard version of the external antenna adapter for this radio (connected to the three pin socket on the chassis), but it generally doesn't seem to offer much better performance on BC and low SW than the loop antenna, though it does make a considerable difference on the upper SW band. Is that consistent with others' experience using the external antenna adapter and a ~50' length of wire?

Messages In This Thread
RE: 41-255 power dissipation reality check - by jtiner - 09-11-2022, 08:09 AM