Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Philco 46-480 Replacing Field Coil w/ Perm Mag (I know I know)

Good Deal, RetroRev. You now know that your work with the speaker and resistor was good. Now, the bad news. Easier to troubleshoot the Audio section than the radio section, unless you have a signal generator. My $0.02 on what to do next:

If you have not done so, replace all of the paper caps. In addition, replace any mica caps around the detector area (for now, don't change any mica caps in the IF section.

Clean the heck out of the band switch and the tube sockets with Caig DeOxit or similar cleaner. While you're at it, clean the volume control. Loctal tube pins and socket connections can be funky. clean them too, r\\tighten contacts, and remove / replace the tues several times. Dunno why the issue exists with the Loctal tubes but not with the later 7 and 9 pin miniatures, compactrons, etc. Make voltage measurements on the IF and convertor tube, and ohm out the IF transformers RF and Oscillator coil. if voltage / resistance tests are good and band switch is good, go to next step.

Get a modern radio with a loop or ferrite loop antenna and tune it to a midband station on the broadcast band that you can pick up. This is your "Tester" Radio. Hold it near the convertor (1st Detector) stage. On the radio you are servicing, tune throughout the broadcast band. If the tester radio squeals, or goes quiet, then the convertor stage is working, at least the oscillator section is working.

Touch the stator of the tuning cap section associated with the RF in section of the convertor (C16? Schematic says wire is white with red tracer) with a long wire. If stations are picked up, check the RF coils or the band switch.

Good luck.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 46-480 Replacing Field Coil w/ Perm Mag (I know I know) - by MrFixr55 - 09-19-2022, 08:20 PM