Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 40-150 speaker "upgrade"

Quote:I can see space all around it. The scraping i am hearing, i think is the paper spider rubbing on the voice coil or cone since it is not flexing with it. Any suggestions on what to do about that?
That spider is not made any more...

Use a molded cloth mesh spider cut off the flange as close a circle as possible, center and glue to both the metal ring and the voice coil assembly. May have to extract the entire cone to do it correctly.. Unless someone has added more modern stickum goop, the OEM cement is collodion, easily softened to the point of release with acetone also Ether, but you don't want to fall asleep on the job...  I have to re-cone a similar speaker. So I will have to make a jig to assemble the voice coil/spider on correct axis, pre-coat with G-C cement and left to dry, then assemble, shim into place and clip the surround. Then apply either acetone or Toluene to the joints. The solvent for the G-C cement is Toluene but acetone kinda works. The G-C cement will grab and in 30 minutes bond. In about hour it is done, pull shim, add dust cover and "Rock & Roll" You can touch up with more G-C cement, use a plastic disposable eye dropper, the kind with a long, thin snout. The snout can be pulled with pliers and made even thinner/smaller, gets a bead of the G-C just where it needs to go : )

See: https://www.ebay.com/usr/speakerguy2002  gives O.K measurements but the inventory cannot be searched by size, very exactly.

Fast service got my parts in 4 days... Regular mail...

Might as well get a cone too, yes, real paper surrounds, watch for the depth and the cone size. But, you know all that Icon_smile Fresh paper cone is surprisingly tough, worth it... Get a cone with leads, helps, doing ones own lead wires can be messy. For the black goop on V.C. leads use G-C liquid tape, works great too...

You will be forced to buy two, so a spare if one gets hosed...

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

Messages In This Thread
Philco 40-150 speaker "upgrade" - by petermorrone - 10-05-2022, 06:16 PM
RE: Philco 40-150 speaker "upgrade" - by MrFixr55 - 10-05-2022, 09:12 PM
RE: Philco 40-150 speaker "upgrade" - by Chas - 10-06-2022, 09:56 AM
RE: Philco 40-150 speaker "upgrade" - by Chas - 10-06-2022, 05:48 PM