Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

National NC sixty special

I have a National Sixty Special that's a bit of a beater, and found some information online about them, I think it's from about 1959-60. My impression is that it is somewhat better made then a Hallicrafters S-38E?, at least the cabinet and chassis are, but it's still made to a price. Most of the capacitors are not paper, they are reddish-brown "chiclet" style, the rest may be paper mylar or just paper since they appear to be molded black Sprague ones, the filter caps are in a typical "toilet roll" one like most 1950s AC/DC sets have. The IF cans were not made by National, Automatic/Miller K-trans, though the front end coils may or may not have been I don't think they were), the tube sockets are the typical phenolic wafer ones used in loads of AC/DC radios at the time. Mine has the black cabinet, some come in a grey cabinet, and allegedly blue as well, made out of heavier gauge steel then the Hallicrafters S-38s of the time, the chassis slides out the front, two screws hold it in from the back, and two on the bottom, once the back is removed. 
Regards
Arran

Messages In This Thread
National NC sixty special - by jcassity - 04-26-2023, 10:19 AM
RE: National NC sixty special - by Arran - 04-26-2023, 01:12 PM
RE: National NC sixty special - by jcassity - 04-26-2023, 02:02 PM
RE: National NC sixty special - by Arran - 04-26-2023, 11:19 PM