Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Recommendation for a modern signal generator?

If you read the manual for the SG-7 & SG-8 they are not designed to be used a frequency standard but to peak an existing setting. In of words they are not accurate at all. There is one trimmer that will adjust the oscillator on all 4 or 5 bands at once. The rest falls where ever. I would set mine @ 460kc so it would be accurate to do some IF alignments. Broadcast and shortwave were within 100kc-1mc or so on the generator's dial. Would use my digital ham rig to check it's frequency output. Or if I was setting the lo I would use a cheap programmable counter to get it spot on, well at least the end points. Wouldn't use one these types of sg above 10 or 15mc.

They leak rf like crazy! Shielding is poor and rf gets out of the cabinet and the cord. It radiates everywhere. In layman's terms it means that if you are servicing a sensitive (more than the average bear). You can't turn the attenuator (it's not shielded) down low enough to prevent overload. 

Mike can tell you that the output waveform is kinda scary. Modulation level is about 30% at best. 

Point is yes you can use these entree level jobs but they do have their drawbacks.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          https://archive.org/details/sg8signalgen...ew=theater

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Messages In This Thread