Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Power cable, speaker cable for 1937 Philco F-1442 auto radio

Hi and welcome to the Phorum,

> Can you or anyone advise me of the current or power my 1937 Philco F-1442 draws? 
Simple enough problem. Hook an amp meter in series with the battery A lead and measure the current. Add another 20% and your good. I would guess about 15 to 20amps.

>My car is a 6V pos ground system.
Doesn't matter if it's - or  + ground it's still the same amount of power. The ground situation is a car thing and not really a radio thing. The only thing is there's two different vibrators one for the two different ground connections. So you DO have to have the right polarity vibrator for the power supply to work. The rest of the set doesn't care. And you do have proper vibrator.

>Does anyone know where I can get the OEM style wires and terminal lug to make new power wires?
It would be handy to snap a few pics of what you need and we can brainstorm a bit to try and come up with something.

If you are looking for copper braid to slip wires into I've used scraps of coaxial cable. For your application I would go with RG-9 or RG-11. Once it's disassemble the hole in the center for the wire(s) is about 5/16" If you need something smaller RG-58 or RG-59 has about 3/16" hole in the center. By pushing on the inside of the hole it can be made larger but the length will get shorter. If you have buddies that are ham radio operators they would probably give a couple of feet, it's normally sold in rolls of 100'.

For those of you watching at home https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Ri...38-PQR.pdf  Scroll to pg 162. Unfortunately we don't have any info on this set in the library.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Messages In This Thread