Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco AM FM Table radio circa early 60's?

Radiomuseum is where I saw the E-976 model, I didn't see any wood radios with a flat vertical dial. The knobs were similar is style to the E-976 but larger and clear or amber in color. The sides were taller than the top dial face by about an inch, and beveled inward to a point. The front was styled the same but with a full off white cloth grille. Looking at the measurements of the E-976, its similar in style but probably not in size. The dials on the E-976 looks shorter and more compact from what I remember.
On the back there were two sets of terminals, one set of three for the antenna, and four for adding remote speakers. I seem to remember my dad bringing home a pair of somewhat matching bookshelf speakers and setting it up in the bedroom with those speakers.
I do remember that the remote speakers would play along with the two in the cabinet.
I found one of those speakers in a box in the attic the other day. The speakers were not branded but actually looks pretty well built. They were new enough to be vinyl over particle board but had canvas looking grill covers with metallic threads throughout.

Of course I'm going off memory since the last time I saw that radio was close to 50 years ago. It got displaced on the kitchen counter when my parents bought their first microwave and after that the kitchen radio was a tiny portable that hung on the wall. The last thing I remember listening to on that radio was the Nixon resignation, but by the time the world series came in Oct. I remember listening to the report of the A's taking the last three games from the Dodgers on a tiny portable that my dad had gotten where he worked. That portable still sits in the same place.
I can't say for sure if it was stereo or not but I do remember it having two badges on the front, one was Philco in script the other was either Hi Fi or Stereo or something to that effect.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco AM FM Table radio circa early 60's? - by retroroy - 07-25-2023, 01:10 AM