Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help needed with grain filler - Solved, more or less. :-)

Hi Ron,

I'm sure Exray has you headed in the right direction. I also use Constantines grain filler. I do not use sanding sealer.

FWIW, here is how I use it. Mix it well in the original can and then scoop out enough into another container to do the job at hand. Then thin it with mineral spirits (I use an eyedropper) and add a few drops at a time and then stir well until it is the consistency of something like yellow mustard or Heinz ketchup.

Here is how I apply it.

Use a paint brush and paint it on in the direction of the grain, until the surface is coated. Then, rub it in with a cloth (an old tee shirt will do) in a circular motion. This is to be sure the filler is fully forced into the pores of the wood. When tacky, scrape it off with an old credit card, scraping across the grain. Once again, scraping across the grain insures that the filler is forced into the pores as the bulk of the product is removed.

Then, wipe down the surface with a fresh cloth (old cotton tee shirt is fine) in the direction of the grain. If you wipe the surface well, there is usually little or no sanding to do. That's about it. It seems to work well every time, once you develop your technique and you rarely need to apply more than one coat. I think this method varies from what is described on the application notes on the can, but it seems to work well for me. I hope this helps.

Good luck with your project.

Regards,

Ed

Messages In This Thread
Re: Help needed with grain filler! - by Arran - 07-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Re: Help needed with grain filler! - by codefox1 - 07-08-2011, 05:03 AM
Re: Help needed with grain filler! - by etech - 07-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Re: Help needed with grain filler! - by codefox1 - 07-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Re: Help needed with grain filler! - by etech - 07-09-2011, 08:10 AM