Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rookie Question - Radio Alignment

To a certain extent, it depends on the model radio you're working on - what I mean is that an AA5 radio will be different than a 10 tube console.

The method I can give you at the moment will not be perfect by any means, but it will get you in the ballpark. It's a "down 'n dirty" way of alignment without a signal generator.

Tune the radio to a local station preferably around 1400-1500. Then tweak each of the IF transformer slugs until the station gets louder - you'll notice a definite peak for each slug you tune. Start with the one closest to the tuning condenser. Then move on to the next one and do the same thing. When the IF's are done, you'll also notice some small adjustment screws on the tuning condenser. Do the same thing with these adjustments.

Short of having a signal generator, this should get you close, although if you look up the schematic for your particular radio, typically there are alignment instructions available for you to follow. Again, this method is far from perfect, but the radio should perform better than wehen you started. This method works on most any make of radio.

A footnote - if you don't get favorable results at one particular point, turn the slug or screw back to approximately where you started and move on to the next point.

Again, this should get you in the ballpark. Good luck!

Bill

Sent from my Pentium II on the AT&T Dial Network

Messages In This Thread
Rookie Question - Radio Alignment - by kstesney - 07-20-2006, 07:06 AM
[No subject] - by Bill Hutchinson - 07-20-2006, 03:43 PM
[No subject] - by kstesney - 07-20-2006, 06:58 PM
[No subject] - by Bill Hutchinson - 07-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Better... but still have a way to go - by kstesney - 07-24-2006, 01:19 PM
[No subject] - by Chuck Schwark - 07-24-2006, 01:45 PM
Eureka! - by kstesney - 08-06-2006, 11:45 AM
[No subject] - by Chuck Schwark - 08-06-2006, 08:30 PM