Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

One more this year before cold weather sets in

That's one of the problems with trying to match veneer in a place like that, not only does it have to be of the correct species and cut but in a case like this it has to be from the same fletch (veneer cut from the same log) in order that the grain and the colour will match. When it's on opposite sides of the cabinet or the top it's much easier to hide then when they are almost side by side. At the factory the cabinet makers simply took sheets of veneer directly off the top of a stack of veneer one after the other, so if they wanted a mirror image or book match they just flipped the next sheet over, so the grain and colour always matched on each cabinet. The good news is that you can still get veneer of this cut today, it's called quarter sawn French walnut, so you can still match veneers just like they did in 193? or 194? at the Philco furniture plant. That being said you did a much better job of this then most people would, some would just throw straight cut black walnut on there and call it done, like the guys that put huge square patches in veneer.
Regards
Arran

P.S I really need to build a new cabinet for my Philco 3118, I made one year ago with 1/2 inch birch plywood and I can't stand looking at it anymore.