Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My latest cabinet refinishing projects

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the kind words.

Arran, yes, I feel that my refinishing skills have definitely improved this year. Learning how to use grain filler and sanding sealer has gone a long way toward giving me better finishes. My work is not in the league of someone like Steve Davis, but I don't really expect to get as good as someone who is one of the best. As long as I can keep taking junk and turning them into jewels that look decent, I'll be happy. Icon_smile At least now, my cabinets barely show the grain when I am done. Much better than not filling the grain at all.

The 53C has that "piano" finish that I've been after all along. I'll just keep repeating the technique I used on the 53C on future work, and hopefully, all future cabinets I refinish will turn out as well.

I've seen the offerings of the eBay seller you refer to. No, the majority of his sets never had that extra toning on the edges, but 100 coats of super gloss lacquer and extra (non-original) toning sells, it seems. What the buyers don't know is that too many coats of lacquer will start cracking eventually. I've seen a set that was finished with multiple coats of lacquer, using built-up coats of lacquer to fill the grain instead of using grain filler. After a few years, it started cracking.

Here's the technique that seems to work for me:
  • Prepare the cabinet by sanding it smooth.
  • Fill the grain with grain filler using Etech's method (no sanding). Let dry.
  • Give the cabinet a second application of grain filler. Let dry.
  • Spray two coats of sanding sealer.
  • Sand the cabinet down again with fine grade sandpaper.
  • Spray on the toner.
  • Spray two coats of clear.
  • Lightly wet sand with 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper.
  • Apply decals.
  • Spray two more coats of clear.
  • Let dry for a week.
  • Rub down with polishing compound.
  • Hand wax the cabinet.
  • Reassemble and admire the work.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
Re: My latest cabinet refinishing projects - by Ron Ramirez - 10-10-2011, 04:19 PM