Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 20 restoration state: need the voltage chart

7estatdef Wrote:A few thoughts. If all the resistor are good then I would check the ground rivet. Sometimes they can develop a high resistance.

Where I saw the GND connections with rivets, I checked them - seem to be OK.

7estatdef Wrote:The other thing is I've seen on some of these diagrams/voltage measurements the - lead is connected to the cathode rather than chassis ground.

Even if so, the voltage will vary by the aforementioned 1.4V, which will make it 107.6 i/o 109V. Not much closer to 30V. Alas!

7estatdef Wrote:You mentioned how the set sounds, try hooking up a modern 8 ohm speaker to it. It really sounds great! The spider and paper on the original are pretty stiff thus inhibiting the frequency response.

I believe that. A tube amp coupled with modern speaker is a win-win combination.
Thing is - I no longer have the spider. The speaker did have the cone fully destroyed, but the spider was intact; the speaker shop confirmed that and re-coned it using original spider; somehow when it came to me, the spider was broken in half.
The Speaker shop felt responsible, so they took the speaker back and just put all modern stuff in there; the spider is no longer a part of this speaker.
So the speaker is still dynamic (with the field coil) vs. perm. magnet one. But the cone is modern.

7estatdef Wrote:By the by are you from Wallace and Gromett land?
Terry

Hmm, let me brush up on my trivia (not big on it at all, nor ever was)... By this do you mean the GB, our archenemy? Icon_mrgreen Who now are conquering us back using TV reality shows?
If so, no, I am a Jersey man. Though originally from the ole Soviet Union (my Ellis Island was a very long time ago). I grew up with all tube equipment around me. Even in 80-s/beg. 90-s the TV sets were tube ones, and those modern ones with thyristor flyback section or with voltage multipliers were extremely unreliable. So I had my share of being exposed to the enchanting warm glow Icon_smile (back then we did not appreciate it much).

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Philco 20 restoration state: need the voltage chart - by morzh - 11-04-2011, 03:28 PM