Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Factory installed? Philco 89 Chassis in a Philco 35 Cabinet

Why did the model 32B require a seperate power supply chassis? Did they use a vibrator, transformer, and rectifier for the high voltage? Most 32 volt sets that I have seen used 32 volts for the B supply but maybe they couldn't do that with 1934 era tubes?
I wonder about the left over cabinet idea, it's possible I suppose but an in house cabinet shop could more or less make the proper cabinets on demand when it comes to table sets. Why would they make a surplus of 32B cabinets, they probably would have sold 1/10 the number of 32Bs as opposed to model 89Bs?
You often see mixes and matches like this with some Canadian sets, Canadian Westinghouse for example. I have a Canadian Westinghouse mantle set that has three bands and five tubes, but they also made an seven tube battery set in the same cabinet. I ran into a Westinghouse console on CL, it looks quite impressive, but I asked for the model number and it's a 622, basically a five tuber with a magic eye, but if I were to look it up I would probably find that they used the same cabinet for an eight or nine tube chassis. In the case of Canadian Westinghouse they had their cabinets made by an outside cabinet supplier rather then in house so that may account for sharing cabinets between models.
Regards
Arran