Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Questions about model 14 and 17 Chairside radios

Hello, Ron/Terry: Yes, the 14 is the early variant with the center portion of the radio opening to reveal the controls. Interesting, the dial has only BC band but the power/band switch has 3 positions. The tuning cap is very similar to those you see in the earlier 20/70/90 models, but it is a 3-gang vice a 4. It does have a shadowmeter and it does work.

The 14 had some old repairs/mods that were poorly done. Both 8mFd electrolytics had paper replacements installed in parallel with the originals. Several of the bakelite blocks that were in ctc with B+ were leaking black tar, and the 1st det Xfrmr primary was open. After a re cap and rewind of the transformer, the radio now works but volume is low. (Primary is now only 1 ohm vice 4.5 ohms, I wound it 25 turns like the original but used slightly larger diameter wire.)

Are there schematics out there for the code 221 model 14 chassis?

Thanks for easing my mind about the model 17 chairside. I did not get a speaker with it, like I did for the 14. However, I do have a model 118 console speaker that should work for the time being. It is a smaller chairside than the 14, and has the lid that slides siideways as you described above.

Messages In This Thread