Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Removing Poly finish from a Philco 46-480

Jbaker Wrote:This radio has a bunch of slats on the front. I removed one to use as a test piece. What a nightmare! The acetone just evaporated too fast and I ended up with a gooey mess. It worked OK on a flat surface but the contoured part what just too putsy to scrape it off before it dried. The more agressive stripper was better but I think it just might not be worth the effort. Someone locally has the same model on Craigslist for $25 that has a chassis that is smoked. The cabinet is not in as good shape as the one with the poly. That poly one is stained very dark and is just not very attractive. I surrender!

Thanks everyone! Jim

Don't give up, I've stripped this crap off before, not fun but not impossible by any means. Don't use lye, lye works on paint on solid wood but I wouldn't risk it on anything veneered. See if you can find a brand of stripper that says it will remove polyurethane, one brand to try is called Klean-Strip KS-3 Premium Stripper, unless that's what you already have.
Regards
Arran

Messages In This Thread
RE: Removing Poly finish from a Philco 46-480 - by jadaman - 03-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Re: Removing Poly finish from a Philco 46-480 - by Arran - 02-11-2012, 10:57 PM