Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Does Model 89 Require Shield On 75 Tube?

Okay guys, Thanks! I just had a hunch that the 75 had something to do with it. But it was only a hunch. Still don't understand why it works great in my shop and not somewhere else. But I'm in the country, he's in the city, more power lines, electrical substations etc. Could be any of those or none. He thinks he needs more antenna but I live 35 miles from the big city and I pick up all the stations from there with no antenna. Attach the 10' 14awg stranded insulated piece of wire to the "ANT" clip and it really pulls them in. And he's closer to them. Maybe too close. He's picking up the radio today and I told him to try it without any antenna hooked up at all. May have to turn the volume up but I know that I get a soft hum from the local AM station I listen too but I'm right on top of their transmitter. Disconnect the antenna and the hum goes away.

Now it's off to the want ads to find a Philco 89 shield and shield holder that is attached to the chassis. I don't mind working on radios that have been chopped up but why don't folks keep all the original parts with the set and pass them down from owner to owner or family to family. Icon_lol I wish!

Thanks again,
Pepper

"It's Nice To Be Nice To The Nice"
Major Frank Burns Mash 4077th

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does Model 89 Require Shield On 75 Tube? - by Pepperoni - 05-23-2012, 11:14 AM