Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith 9-S-262 Cabinet Issues - Need Recommendations

Quote:Is the veneer on the sides the same as the front? To me it's hard to tell. If so I might harvest a small piece from the side in the rear to use on the front. That might blend in better than a new piece.

- Geoff

It may be but it would be difficult to remove a strip without destroying it unless it is already loose. Also the veneer on the right side is likely matched to the veneer on the left side since it is bent around a curve and visible from the front, so I wouldn't disturb it if it's in othewise good shape. It would actually be easier, if matching is a concern on the left and right side of the control panel, to cut a strip out of the opposite side of the panel the same width as the one needed for the damaged side and replace both with a strip of new veneer, then it will have a butt joint in the same place on both sides of the panel. But I don't think that matching is too much of a concern since the panel, and indeed the whole cabinet, seems to be covered with a medium walnut tone spray, as long as the grain is straight like the original stuff I think that the tone spray will obscure the butt joint and any minor differences in colour. I keep suggesting to replace a strip of veneer rather then a local patch since the chip is right at the curve, if you try patching only the chipped area then the ends of the patch may try curling up because the wood is under tension at the curve.
This problem is a real pain to deal with, it was one of the reasons I walked away from a Westinghouse console on craigslist, the veneer wasn't chipped at the curve of the control panel but someone had dropped something heavy on it and nearly punched a hole through it so it was cracked across the grain. It was a shame , it was a very nice cabinet at one time, but this sort of problem is difficult to repair invisibly without going to this sort of trouble, if it was chipped out of one end in a flat area you can make a small patch and make in invisible, on a curve though it always seems to show.
Regards
Arran

Messages In This Thread
RE: Zenith 9-S-262 Cabinet Issues - Need Recommendations - by Arran - 06-07-2012, 08:11 PM